Services & Organizations
Carthage's many services and organizations are dedicated to serving, improving, and
preserving the town's rich history and endearing way of life. The volunteers who
serve the community strive to ensure Carthage fights the trend of small-
The Carthage Library was first started as a Book Club back in 1897, but was not really
founded and organized as a City Library until 1918. At that time Mrs. E.B. Patten
and Mrs. Earl Craft went before the City Council and asked for financial aid. They
were allowed a gift of $125.00.
The library has been moved several times and at the present time is located in it's new home at the Carthage Community Center that also houses the towns new fire hall.
The library has a total of over 10,000 books, old and new, for children and adults and also offers computer and internet service.
The library is open on Saturday afternoons from 2:00pm to 4:00pm.
The Carthage Post Office sits on the South side of Main Street.
The old post office in Carthage burned down early in the morning on June 10, 2001, after being struck by lightning. A new post office was constructed soon after to continue service to the city of Carthage and surrounding rural areas.
The Carthage Ambulance service is run by a group of volunteer individuals dedicated to providing emergency services to those in need.
For More information: www.carthagesd.net/carthageambulance.html
Volunteer Fire Department
The Carthage volunteer fire department serves an integral and important function
in our community. The current chief, Grant Stevens and group of dedicated volunteer
firemen are always there to assist the community.
In 2004, Carthage received a new fire hall.
The CIA, a non-
The process of becoming a Gold Community was begun in the spring of 2000. Application
was made on Aug. 7th and official designation was granted seven days later. On Sept.
14th Jay Johnson, of the Governor's Office of Economic Development, met with the
local coordinators, mayor and other organization representatives to present an official
plaque designating Carthage as one of the 100 Gold Communities in the state. Highway
Gold Community Signs were placed at each entrance to the town in November of 2000.
Pictured are Harriet Hattervig, Gold Coordinator; Lavonne Durant, CIA President; Joe Pederson, Mayor (retired); and Jay Johnson, regional representative of the Governor's Office of Economic Development.
The Loyal Ladies were organized in 1978. They were first organized as a chapter of
the Jaycettes. In 1980 they became the Loyal Ladies. the Loyal Ladies have been active
in community projects, over the years. These include City Park improvements, Christmas
decorations, parades, helping with medical bills and supplying food for the food
The Loyal Ladies give a yearly scholarship to high school seniors to further their education. They have a haunted house and baked potato suppers to raise money for community projects.
Over the 20 plus years of serving the Carthage community, they have sponsored countless events and been the organizers and participants in many worthwhile and fun projects.
The goal and purpose of the Carthage Sunshine Community Club is to promote, beautify and aid the community. Some of the projects this group has completed are: raising money to buy and erect Street signs, Lake Carthage signs and "Welcome to Carthage" signs, made street banners to beautify Main St., had electricity installed at Centennial park, planted a flower garden and painted fence in Centennial park, held three craft fairs, planned and helped with the 2000 CHS All Years reunion held Aug. 5, 2000, and sponsored and helped with Clean Up Days for the town. annual projects are donating to local organizations such as EMT's, Fire Dept., Sixty Plus Dining, Carthage Lake Aeration Project, books for local school, welcome kits for new residents, and Christmas food bags for those residents in town who live alone
|Services and Organizations|
|Straw Bale Museum|
|Yesterday and Today|
|2013 Revised Municiple Code|